Share this Video On Your Site
Tips to overcome drug addiction:
- Surround yourself with supportive people. One of the most important things you can do to stay sober is to find friends who are sober, too. While it may be hard to cut off unhealthy relationships of your past, hanging out with people who support your need to stay clean will pay off in the long run.
- Find new hobbies. Staying busy is the best way to keep your mind off your desire to use. Not only that, but establishing an interesting and rewarding hobby can also help you find joy and purpose in your life, and replace your old unhealthy habits with new drug-free activities.
- Exercise. Working out is good for the body and the mind. As your physical health improves, you’ll also experience the “natural high” of endorphins, which can elevate your mood. And an exercise routine creates a structure to your days, helping to reduce your risk of a relapse.
- Volunteer. Finding a worthy cause to support while in recovery allows you to help others while helping yourself. Giving back to the community can help you discover a sense of purpose, build healthy connections and friendships, and feel good about the contributions you’re making to society.
- Eat well. The food you eat has a serious impact on your wellbeing. By making sure you consume a healthy, well-rounded diet, you’ll keep yourself in shape – both physically and mentally. And if you’re feeling good, then you’re less likely to turn to drugs for a mood booster.
- Talk it out. Sometimes, you need someone to talk to about what’s going on in your recovery. Sharing your thoughts with someone who understands your experiences and can help support you through the difficult times is invaluable. Find a local support group, work with a sponsor, or call up a trusted friend to talk to when the going gets tough.
- Meditate. Mindfulness exercises have been proven to relieve stress and anxiety, as well as to decrease blood pressure and improve immune function. Developing a meditation practice can help you to find calm and peace, and quiet your mind in an otherwise turbulent time.
- Seek professional help. Recovery from drug addiction is hard, and there’s no shame in asking for extra help from a medical professional when you need it. Physicians and behavioral therapists can set you up for success with structured programs, providing a safe way to prevent relapses and maintain sobriety.
Alvarado Parkway Institute can help you overcome drug addiction
For over thirty-five years, Alvarado Parkway Institute has provided addiction recovery services to the San Diego community. Our intensive outpatient programs for chemical dependency are scientifically designed to help break the cycle of addiction. With support from our dedicated team of health professionals, you can achieve long-lasting sobriety and a healthy, happy life. Call us at (619) 667-6125 and get on the road to recovery today.